The Dangers Of Black Mould

Black Mould And Your Health​

  • Call today for a FREE Estimate 07973 402495 / 01254 662517

Here we outline the potential dangers of black mould on your health and why it is important to remove it as soon as possible.

Black mould can be particularly dangerous and homeowners are best advised to take steps to prevent it building up in the first place. This is a common household problem caused by poor ventilation, leaks and other forms of moisture build-up around the home. It often thrives in humid areas, such as bathrooms, laundry rooms, and shower cubicles.

Black mould removal on a bath. Before and after
It is always best practice to remove black mould before it builds up and becomes a health hazard

Early symptoms of black mould exposure can appear similar to those of a common cold or the flu.

Left untreated, they can release harmful toxins and can spread becoming a health hazard. It can cause allergies and respiratory problems, especially to the most vulnerable groups, such as young children, the elderly and those who suffer from ailments such as skin complaints or breathing problems. Prolonged exposure to sufferers of these types of conditions can also include; persistent coughing, headaches, frequent chest colds, inflammation of the sinus’s and difficulty breathing.

NHS warning

The NHS warns that moulds produce allergens, irritants and, sometimes, toxic substances. Inhaling or touching mould spores may cause an allergic reaction, such as sneezing, a runny nose, red eyes and skin rash. Moulds can also cause asthma attacks.

The most common types of mould are green and black mould. It is black mould that can be notoriously dangerous. In particular one type of black mould known as ‘toxic black mould’ or ‘stachybotrys’ can be extremely nasty. 

This is because toxic black mould produces mycotoxins. These tiny fungal spores enter the human body through inhalation, ingestion and even through the eyes. These spores can cause problems with the reproductive system, vision, skin, the circulatory and respiratory systems.

Long-term exposure to high levels of black mould can include; memory loss, trouble concentrating, sensitivity to light, anxiety, numbness in the hands and feet, cramps and weight gain.